Low Carbohydrate Diet Plan
A low carbohydrate diet plan (also known as a low carb diet) is a diet that restricts the consumption of carbohydratess. Foods high in carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, pastries and cakes are limited.
Foods containing a higher percentage of proteins and fats such as meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese, nuts and seeds are typically eaten as the bulk of the diet foods on a low carb diet plan. Less stricter versions of a low carbohydrate diets allow some salad, vegetables and fruits in limited quantities.
High protein low carbohydrate diets are even stricter versions of low carbohydrate diets. Such diet plans are ketogenic which means they restrict carbohydrate intake severely enough to cause ketosis. The Atkins diet in the initial stages is an example of this.
A low carbohydrate diet can be used to treat diabetes obesity, epilepsy and some other medical conditions. It has health benefits as well as weight loss benefits.
Low Carbohydrate Diet Foods
An example of a Low Carbohydrate Diet menu would include the following foods:
Meat: all meats are allowed (red and white meat) except liver
Seafood: all fish and seafood are allowed though oysters do have some carbs so eat in moderation
Eggs: prepared in whatever way you want
Cheese: though with some restrictions. You should limit to about 4oz or 100g per day if you want to be strict about it
Fats: all fats are allowed including butter, margarine, oils, mayonnaise and cream
Vegetables: low starchy green vegetables are permitted. Restrict starchy vegetables though such as potatoes, corn and peas
Fruit: Do not have high glycemic fruit such as pineapple, watermelon, bananas and citrus fruits
How much weight can you lose on the low carbohydrate diet plan?
Weight loss is not aprticularly quick on such a diet as it limits the types of food ratehr than the amount. Therefore calorie intake can still be high on a low carb diet. However the lack of non nutritious carbohydrates such as pasrties and cakes will for some dieters mean by default redcued calorei intake. This will result in weight loss over time.
If calories are also restricted while following a Low Carbohydrate Diet over a week you could expect to lose about 1 to 2 lbs. This is not a significant rate of weight loss but the diet plan is easier than some prgrammes to stick to and this may mean success long term.
How does the low carbohydrate diet work?
A low carbohydrate diet limits carbs so that the body goes into a different metabolic state called ketosis. It should be noted this will only occur on forms of the low carb diet where carbohydrate intake is severely restricted. In ketosis the body burns its own fat for fuel. Usually you would burn carbohydrates for fuel but in ketosis you get energy from ketones which are carbon fragments which is fuel created by the breakdown of fat stores. When the body is in ketosis, you feel less hungry and are less likely to overeat.
Your body alters from a carb burning machine into a fat burning engine. Your fat stores, typically located on your hips, stomach and thighs become a primary energy source. The result is weight loss from the body areas you most want to slim down.
An alternative theory is the resulting weight loss be simply due to the fact that on a low carbohydrate diet you eat fewer calories despite free access to food. This will result in weight loss.
What Diet low carbohydrate diet review
Yes this diet does work. The stricter the version you follow to limit carbohydrate intake, the more weight you will lose and the quicker you will lose it.
However there are side effects to ketosis, some of which can be dangerous. As such this type of diet is not recommended for long term health.
Low Carbohydrate Diet Plan Pros
- Rapid initial weight loss
- Unlimited food to eat
Low Carbohydrate Diet Plan Cons
- Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein strains the kidneys, which can make you susceptible to kidney disease. Ketosis can cause health kidney failure
- High cholesterol . High protein diets are linked to high cholesterol. High cholesterol levels can lead to an increased risk of heart disease, stroke and cancer
- Osteoporosis and kidney stones. People on a high protein diet have excrete more calcium than normal through their urine. Over time this can increase the risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones
- Cancer. Carbohydrate foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain help deflect cancer. A low carbohydrate diet is lacking in these essential foods. It is important to obtain protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Not only are your protein requirements being met but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
- Unhealthy metabolic state of ketosis. A low carbohydrate diet can cause your body to go into this dangerous metabolic state of ketosis. During ketosis you form ketones which are substances that can cause organs to fail. They can also result in gout, kidney stones or kidney failure. Ketones also cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.
- Not a good diet for vegetarians
Low Carbohydrate Diet Snacks
1.5g sugar, 141 calories – only 1.8g net carbs per serving
Delicious crispy chocolate bars.
|Price:||£16.95 – £31.99|
|Sale:||£22.09 on select options|
Nutritional Info:Per 60g bar Energy 204kcal Protein 20.3g Carbohydrate 18.4g Fats 5.6g
Low Carbohydrate Diet Books
Go to Diets
Go to Home
What Diet: Low Carbohydrate Diet Plan