Low Fat Diet Plan
What is a low fat diet? What it doesn’t mean is eliminating all fats from your diet. A low fat diet is defined as a diet containing less than 30% fats in your daily food intake. Particularly avoided is saturated fat and cholesterol, which are thought to lead to increased blood cholesterol levels and heart attack. However dietary fat is needed for good health to supply energy and fatty acids, in addition to fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K so good fats should still be eaten in moderation.
Recently the health benefits of a low fat diet have been debated. However a diet a high intake of fruits, vegetables and whole grains with a moderate intake of legumes, nuts and low-fat dairy products helps lower the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women. Some reviews conclude that a low fat diet is no more effective than other weight loss diet in achieving lasting weight loss.
Low Fat Diet Plan Food
Any low fat foods. There are many non natural fat free foods available but the health value of these is debatable. The best foods to aim for would be fruit and vegetables which are naturally low in fat. However on a low fat diet there is a tendency to think you can eat unlimited quantities of any low fat or fat free foods which can not be a sensible way of proceeding.
Usually the foods listed for a low fat diet include all fruit and vegetable, low fat and lean proteins such as white meat and white fish, low fat dairy products. Fats such as butter and mayonnaise should be limited if not excluded on a low fat diet.
How much weight can I lose on a low fat diet?
Eating low fat food works to help you lose weight by decreasing the amount of calories consumed. Fat ty foods contain high amounts of calories and by cutting your intake you will naturally cut your calories.
Generally 2 to 3 lbs per week weight loss can be expected by following a low fat diet plan.
How does low fat eating work?
A low fat diet in theory means you would eat food low in food and consequently low calorific value. The less calories you consume the more weight you would lose.
Low fat foods also benefit your health as excessive fat intake can cause health risks.
What Diet Low Fat Diet Plan Review
Eating low fat foods is a good way to alter your diet for health benefits as well as weight loss results. Cutting fat in your diet reduces the risk of many health scares. As fat is high in calories it also means that you will lose weight due to lower calorie intake.
Be careful when choosing low fat foods to readthe nutritional information labels as although diet foods that are low in fat may seem healthy they can be high in ssugars. This means calories will still be high in such low fat foods. High sugar equals high calories that have little butritional value and are not good for your health.
Also remember that not all fats are bad. You still need to incorporate some fats into your diet but make sure these are healthy unsaturated fats as opposed to satured unhealthy fats. Include some good fats in your diet that are found in foods such as oily fish and nuts. Avoid bad saturated fats such as those in meat and manufactured bakery products like doughnuts and cakes.
Low Fat Diet Plan Pros
- Good variety of foods to eat including proteins and carbs
- Your body is designed to run off carbs. You avoid the side effects associated with a low-carb diet, such as lethargy and ketosis
- A low-fat diet has no transition period or induction phase to follow, meaning it is easier to commence and more accessible and in tune with the manner in which your body is designed to function
- A low-fat diet also offers health benefits. Keeping fat intake low can decrease risk of certain cancers, cardiac conditions and stroke
Low Fat Diet Plan Cons
- Avoid falling into the idea associated with a low fat diet that keeping fat low will result in weight loss. This is not necessarily true
- There is a lot of choice of foods to eat and therefor alot of temptation and risk of overreating. Eating too many carbs will lead to weight gain even if they are of the low fat variety
- On a low-fat diet, it’s possible to eat the wrong foods, resulting in weight gain despite following the diet by the book. You still need to have rules in place about which carbs are “allowed” and which need to be restricted. Plus you need the will power to stick to this
- Another disadvantage of the low-fat diet is nutritional requirements. Some fat is required in a healthy diet
Low Fat Diet Food Books
Go to Diets
Go to Home
Photo credits Image courtesy of Danilo Rizzuti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net